Newport Pagnell Station opened on 2 September 1867 the station building consisted of a brick built building, and extensive goods facilities existed further along the line. The last passenger train ran on 6 September 1964 and the next day the Station closed to passengers. The last goods train moved out of the station on 22 May 1967 and the Station closed completely. The Station site is now under Shepherd's Close, a modern residential development.
3 Victoria Street
Newport Pagnell to Olney Railway
In 1865 Parliament granted powers to extend the Wolverton to Newport Pagnell Railway that was already under construction to Olney. Contractors started work on cuttings and embankments between Newport Pagnell and Olney passing through Sherrington, almost as soon as their work on the Newport Pagnell line had finished. The proposed route ran from the station at Newport Pagnell across Bury Field and then onto the west of Lathbury and then onto the Market town, Olney. A further extension was thought to extend this line to join the Northampton and Peterborough line to Wellingborough. The estimated cost was £72,000 and the line was to be built within five years. Construction of the single-track line started, including a bridge over Wolverton Road in Newport Pagnell (where the Police Station was situated) The extensions beyond Newport Pagnell were never built with powers lapsing in 1871 although some work had been undertaken there is still evidence of a start being made on the local common land, Bury Field and between Olney and Newport Pagnell there are long banks or hollows in the fields with trees. They are the remains of a railway that nearly came to run from Wolverton to Olney. Only the first four miles of the line was ever finished, less than one fifth of the total scheme but was halted due to financial difficulties. In 1871 a three-year time extension was granted, but the problems continued and the project was abandoned. There’s no sign of the bridge over Wolverton Road it was demolished in 1875, and the bricks were used to build cottages nearby.
Railway Correspondence & Travel Society Buckingham Rail Tour (David Farron Collection)
|Same as above, Wolverton Road Flooding 0f the 29 April 1908. (David Farron Collection)|
|British Rail Archive Photo Newport Pagnell. BR IVATT 2MT 2-6-2T 41289 AUTO TRAIN 30.06.1962. (David Farron Collection)|
|RCTS Special. LNWR 58887 WEB 0-6-2 at Newport Pagnell 10 October 1954. A Wolverton works shunter until May 1955|
|Signal post on what is now the Milton Keynes Red way from Blue Bridge to Newport Pagnell.|
|CD7-Wolverton Shunter at Newport Pagnell 28 June 1958 RCGB special (David Farron Collection)|
Old Shipley Wharf sidings including Coales and son sidings. The goods wagon would be a common sight in sidings.
Looking out to Newport Pagnell High Street entrance (John Coales Collection)
The entrance to Coales Mill (John Coales Collection)
A Later picture to the one above with buildings added. Station Road to the left. (media print)
|LNWR CD7 leaving Newport Pagnell 28 June 1958 [see rail-tours] (David Farron Collection)|
|Newport Pagnell 10 October 1954. J.J.Davies (David Farron Collection)|
|Newport Pagnell 25 January 1954|
|"From the Air" Post Card un-posted|
|Railway Tavern Post Card un-posted|
Another view of the junction of Station Road and High Street
The Railway Tavern on the left.