Wolverton



Wolverton railway and Wolverton works was established in Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, by the London and Birmingham Railway Company in 1838 at the midpoint of the 112 miles (180 km)-long route from London to Birmingham.

The Victorian era new towns of Wolverton and New Bradwell were built to house the workers and service the works. The older towns of Stony Stratford and Newport Pagnell grew substantially too, being joined to it by a tramway and branch line (known as the "Newport Nobby"), respectively.

The trams were also hauled by steam locomotives: the tram cars were certainly the largest ever in the UK and possibly the world. In modern times Wolverton railway works remains notable as the home of the British Royal Train but otherwise is very much reduced from its heyday.

As of 2013, the facility was much reduced: a full-scale train maintenance, repairs and refurbishment works is operated at the western end of the site, the central area is derelict but slated for redevelopment, the eastern end is a Tesco store with canal-side housing development at the extreme eastern end and including a McDonalds on Tesco Land due to open November 2018.

Wolverton Station 8 July 1972 (David Farron Collection)


Wolverton Station the third station to built on this site 1881 to 1991 when the wooden station was demolished by British Rail.



Luggage Labels




LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T at Wolverton 7 July 1962.  41222 was push-pull fitted for the Newport Pagnell Railway. (David Farron Collection)




LMS Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T at Wolverton 23 October 1962.  No.41222 (Fred Bateman)




(COLOUR RAIL) LCGB Rail-tour 28 June 1958-2p 4-4-0 40421(see LCGB Page)



LCGB Rail-tour 28 June 1958-2p 4-4-0 40421 (see LCGB Page)(David Farron Collection)





_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________






LCGB Rail-tour 28 June 1958-2p 4-4-0 40421 (see LCGB Page) (Author Unknown)




Colour Rail Photo CD7 and CD8. CD7 used on the special to Newport Pagnell 28-06-1958





Chief Inspector small arms 1919 Luggage label.

LMR - 2P  41222 At Wolverton Branch Line Platform Picture taken  August 1962.
(David Farron Collection)

                       

"Carriage Dept Wolverton" CD8  23.7.38 Post Card (David Farron Collection)




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




-----------------------------------------------------------------------




                                  
Wolverton-Carriage-Works-August 1962
                              

                              
Wolverton-Carriage-Works year unknown



41222 @ Wolverton Station 31-07-1964 (© K.C.Fairey) (David Farron Collection)



Child Return Ticket Wolverton - Newport Pagnell 16 August 1958 (David Farron Collection)




LCGB Tour 17-10-64 4MT 2-6-4T 42105 at Wolverton Triangle (David Farron Collection)





APT-P unit 370003 on rear of test train moving north passing Wolverton c.1980 (David Farron Collection)

2/10/1984 the train is the 16:30 Bletchley to Birmingham (Ian Spires Photo)

Wolverton station foot bridge before demolition (Jackie Nott) 

Wolverton station foot bridge all timber construction in poor state of repair.(Media Photo)

 Wolverton Centre Sidings (Media Photo)

Wolverton Centre Sidings and the Newport Pagnell Triangle (Media Photo)


 
BR Class 310 310061 and  BR Loco Class 86 86220 common sight at Wolverton June 1983 (David Farron Collection)


Shunter 08629 - Wolverton works - Chimney tower no longer exist (David Farron Collection)




The 150ft. 120.000 brick Chimney Built in 1901 at the BRML's Wolverton Railway Depot built by the LNWR for the coal fired boiler house to produce steam for heating and  production process. It was used upto April 1992 and demolition began in late 1993 with the main Chimney demolished in 1994 (Brian Bailey Photo's)


Platform Ticket these had to be handed back when leaving platform, however some did get through.
Most if not all stations do not issue platform tickets now. This practice stopped in c.2014 (from media)



Wolverton War Weapons Week  1941





A post card (un-posted) date unknown showing train on up slow running out of  Wolverton. Note the carriage sidings in distance on right (David Farron Collection)



Wolverton Bridge Plate 22 June 1966 (David Farron Collection)



Wolverton Works and centre sidings showing the Newport Pagnell branch line triangle.                                       2 November 1971 A Then and Now Publication. (David Farron Collection)



1939-45 Luftwaffe high altitude aerial photo of Wolverton
Wolverton Station  c.1960 with Hilman Minx 1961-1963 -  960 BXX

A Bedford CF 280 panel Van 2.88 tons gvw October 1979 FKX 387T

They were originally wholesale and retail newsagents but later diversified into printing. This occurred after they purchased one large Golding Jobber Press and one small plate press in the late 1930s at the business premises Number 5 & 9 Stratford Road. It was the railways that made the growth of national newspapers possible. Papers printed in London at night and bundled to Euston in the early hours of the morning and loaded onto the train for delivery at each station. Early morning the papers were picked up at the station and taken to their premises, Muscutt and Tompkins. The Evening papers from London would also be picked up from the station in the same way. Bill Tompkins married Ida Muscutt, one of Harry Muscutt's daughters and thus the business became Muscutt and Tompkins. It certainly grew as a family business during the 20th century, holding at least three shops on the Stratford Road - a tobacconists at number 3, the newsagents at Number 5 and at Number 9 a stationery shop and printing business. In 1946 a young Reg Tomalin started work for the firm where he gained his printing skills. The Company carried out a range of general printing including headed notepaper, Christmas cards and notepads. Printing continued through the 1950s and 60s until Reg Tomalin died in 1967.


Company info

Company category: Private Limited Company

Company number: 00445603

Company status: Dissolved 

country of origin: United Kingdom

incorporation date: 1947.11.24

dissolution date: 2000.05.09

last member list: 1997.09.01

has UK establishment: No

has appointments: Yes

in liquidation: No 


This lamp, which advertises Swan Pens, came from Muscutt & Tompkins of  5 & 9 Stratford Road. 
picture from   https://www.livingarchive.org.uk

Shop front on Stratford Road. (David Farron Collection)

Open day 1974


BR 42233 Fairburn Scraped in 1967 shunting at Wolverton 17 August 1963




Wolverton-Carriage-Works-1954-line-up-of-the-Works-shunting-engines and LNWR 0-6-0ST 'Special Tank' C03 'Earlestown' Seen at Wolverton Works with 2 class mates 29th July 1956 (David Farron Collection & Ben Brooksbank)






Post Cards Un-dated


 Wolverton goods yard views photo taken on the 5th January 1957 by H.C.Casserley (David Farron Collection)

25 years span between photo's. BR British Rail Coach M1800 @ Wolverton, 12th June 1982 (David Farron Collection)


Loco 0-4-0DM in a Scrap yard Old Wolverton 1982 with The Works and Chimney in the Distance.  Precise location not known, photo could have been taken from the railway bank on Wolverton sidings.                      (David Farron Collection)

25th January 1964. 41222 leaving for Newport Pagnell from Wolverton approaching the "triangle" (David Farron Collection)




Wolverton Works Fire Brigade Haversham Road (John Sprittles)

Excerpt form a British Rail Track Plan 



Wolverton Station and Park Entrance c.1910

Class 105 DMU at Wolverton open day 1988

Wolverton Signal Box No.1 with the "Gables" in the background

A Sans Pareil passing under Stratford Road Wolverton on the 17 August 1985




Open day 1974







Earlestown stationary at Wolverton Works Centre sidings 1957 

Earlestown Wolverton (colour rail image)






Webb LNWR 0-6-0ST C.D.7. at Wolverton Works 1956 Wolverton centre sidings with CD7 stationary what is now McConnell Drive behind tree line.

Media picture from an Auction

The last passenger service was the 5:34 pm train from Newport Pagnell on 5 September 1964



Stationary Boiler at Wolverton 1 October 1966 (H.C Casserley)


5 September 1964 41222 Wolverton

42105 Class 4P 1964 on the Wolverton Triangle


Another day travel to the office c.1950



Rebuilt to G1 Dec 1926. Rebuilt to G2A Dec 1939. @ Wolverton 1955.

What the papers say;  Saturday 24 September 1955

Dwight D.Eisenhower President of the United States suffers a coronary thrombosis while on vacation in Denver, Colorado Vice President Richard Nixon serves as Acting President while Eisenhower recovers.



North British Diesel Shunter D2903 at Wolverton sidings 1966. (H.C.Casserley)
Behind the fence is the now McConnell Drive and in the distance the "Gables" tower flats can be seen.
A Sister engine North British Diesel Shunter D2905 at Wolverton Works  September 1967.

Freight running through Wolverton towards Northampton 1983 with a class 25
(GT Robinson) 















 






















Comments